Online Open House
The Views at St. Joseph’s Redevelopment Project
2137 Comox Avenue, Comox, B.C.
Thank you to all who submitted comments during our Online Open House, which ran from January 27 to February 17, 2021. Our initial public consultation is now closed. All written submissions provided to us during this pre-application consultation process have been submitted to the Town of Comox.
Providence Living, the owner of The Views at St Joseph’s (The Views) at 2137 Comox Avenue, wishes to develop a 156-bed, innovative long-term care facility on this property.
An innovative long-term care home, being built using the concepts of a dementia village, will replace The Views in about three years' time. All resident spaces in the new village will replace those currently at The Views.
The innovative village design supports a philosophy of care that promotes freedom of movement, safe access to the outdoors, and interactions with the community, including opportunities for intergenerational connections.
As part of the planning process — and based on Providence Living’s values and a recommendation from the Town of Comox Planning Department — we are happy to seek feedback from the community before submitting our plans to the Town.
As the owner of 2137 Comox Avenue shown shaded in the map above, we wish to know what impact our proposal may have in this neighbourhood. The purpose of this consultation was to receive comments from the community in order to consider them in the design of the project.
Currently, the subject property at 2137 Comox Avenue contains:
- long-term care and hospice services (The Views at St. Joseph’s) – note the hospice services will transfer to a new long-term care home being built in Courtenay and The Views will replace these with respite beds
- adult day program
- tenant services including a thrift shop, and child care, educational, professional and community services
What we are proposing
On a portion of undeveloped land bordering Comox Avenue, we are proposing building a two-story, 156-bed long-term care home that will replace The Views.
The redevelopment is being designed using the concepts of a dementia village and will include amenities such as a bistro, child care centre, art studio, and community space. It would be built to conform to the Town of Comox standards.
All written feedback gathered during our Stage 1 Public Consultation is available for public review. Feedback was gathered between December 2 and 23, 2020, in accordance with the Town of Comox guidelines.
Community feedback summary
- 376 invitations sent in total
- 26 comments received
- 19 supportive
- 1 opposed
- 6 not indicated
Comments summarized by topic
- 8 about traffic
- 8 about building siting and appearance
- 5 about parking onsite
- 4 about parking offsite
- 4 about building functional design
- 1 about trees on the property
- 1 opposed to project blocking respondent’s view
How we plan to address the feedback
Traffic and parking
- Parking will be developed in coordination with the Town and Bylaws.
- Given the nature of the development (i.e. a similar number of residents as before), once built, the new building will not attract any more traffic than the current site.
Building siting, appearance, exterior features
- The Online Open House provides an opportunity for the community to provide additional feedback on the siting and appearance of the development.
- The project team will be working with residents and their families, staff and other stakeholders to provide an innovative living environment both in physical design and provision of care.
Residents and families share their thoughts
Because we're committed to listening to our residents and their families, and we value their input, we've heard directly from them about what's important in The Views redevelopment project. This way, we can do our absolute best to build a place and community that reflects what our residents most want and need.
To hear directly from those who chose to share their thoughts with us, please take a couple of minutes to watch our video featuring some great ideas and advice from residents and families at The Views.
Field & Marten Associates
2137 Comox Avenue
Comox, B.C. V9M 1P2
604-582-3393, extension 4
Thank you for visiting!