The Views at St. Joseph’s Redevelopment Project
About the project
An innovative long-term care home being built using the concepts of a dementia village will replace The Views at St Joseph’s (The Views) in about three years' time.
Providence Living, the owner of The Views at 2137 Comox Avenue shown shaded on the map below, is planning to develop a 156-bed long-term care facility on this property. All resident spaces in the new build will replace those currently at The Views.
Currently, the subject property at 2137 Comox Avenue contains:
- long-term care and hospice services (The Views at St. Joseph’s) – note the hospice services will transfer to a new long-term care home being built in Courtenay and The Views will replace these with respite beds
- adult day program
- tenant services including a thrift shop, and child care, educational, professional and community services
What we are proposing
On a portion of undeveloped land bordering Comox Avenue, we are proposing building a two-story, 156-bed long-term care home that will replace The Views.
The redevelopment is being designed using the concepts of a dementia village and will include amenities such as a bistro, child care centre, art studio, and community space. It would be built to conform to the Town of Comox standards.
The innovative village design supports a philosophy of care that promotes freedom of movement, safe access to the outdoors, and interactions with the community, including opportunities for intergenerational connections.
As part of the planning process — and based on Providence Living’s values and a recommendation from the Town of Comox Planning Department — we were happy to seek feedback from the community before submitting our plans to the Town.
Thank you to all who submitted their comments during our Online Open House, which ran from January 27 to February 17, 2021.
Our public consultation is now closed. All written submissions provided during the pre-application consultation process have been submitted to the Town of Comox.
How we plan to address the feedback
Traffic and parking
- Parking will be developed in coordination with the Town and Bylaws.
- Given the nature of the development (i.e. a similar number of residents as before), once built, the new building will not attract any more traffic than the current site.
Building siting, appearance, exterior features
- The Online Open House (now closed) provided an opportunity for the community to submit additional feedback on the siting and appearance of the development.
- The project team will be working with residents and their families, staff, partners, Indigenous Peoples, and stakeholders to gather feedback for our work to provide an innovative living environment both in physical design and provision of care.
Residents and families share their thoughts
Because we're committed to listening to our residents and their families, and we value their input, we've heard directly from them about what's important in The Views redevelopment project. This way, we can do our absolute best to build a place and community that reflects what our residents most want and need.
To hear directly from those who chose to share their thoughts with us, please take a couple of minutes to watch our video featuring some great ideas and advice from residents and families at The Views.
Field & Marten Associates
2137 Comox Avenue
Comox, B.C. V9M 1P2
604-582-3393, extension 4